As the weather starts to warm up it’s time to shake off the winter and give your home a bit of a makeover. Many people use this time of year to give their homes a good clean and change up the decor a little to make it feel more light and summery. Redecorating your home each season is expensive and not feasible for most of us, but there are several ways in which you can update your home on a budget…
- Change your curtains/blinds: During the winter, heavy curtains are ideal for keeping heat in your home, but during the summer you want to keep your home cool. Swap your thick, lined curtains for some lighter ones, and maybe invest in some blackout blinds if you’re concerned about too much light affecting your sleeping patterns. If you can’t afford to swap your curtains or blinds completely, giving them a good clean can also help your home to feel fresher and airier.
- Clean your carpets: Vacuuming your carpets regularly helps to prevent dirt and dust from building up, but it’s impossible to suck up all of the dirt. Inevitably, dirt will become ingrained in your carpet over time and can leave it smelling musty. Hire a steam carpet cleaner (unless you happen to own one!) and give your carpets a really deep clean. This will help to lift the dirt and dust from them, leaving them smelling fresher, looking brighter, and it also kills dust mites and can help to keep allergies in check.
- Rearrange your furniture: If you are tired of the way your home looks and feeling tempted to buy new furniture or redecorate, try rearranging your existing furniture first. Sometimes all it takes to make your home feel fresher and newer is to arrange things a bit differently. Instead of having your TV on a stand in the corner you could try mounting it on the wall to free up some space, and put your sofa in a different position etc.
- Update your soft furnishings: One of the most cost-effective ways to update your home is to invest in some new soft furnishings. A few new cushions, a throw blanket, or a new rug could give your home a much-needed face lift for a fraction of the cost and effort involved in redecorating. Adding in ornaments such as candles and picture frames can also help your home to feel fresh and updated without you spending a fortune.
- Fill your home with flowers: When spring arrives, nature is full of gorgeous coloured flowers and plants, so what better way to brighten up your home than by bringing nature inside! Some new house plants and fresh flowers will give your home a much-needed lift, just remember to water your plants and regularly replace the flowers in your vase.