Roller blinds can be made from a variety of fabrics and designs so they’re a really easy way to add a stylish and personal touch to the windows in your home. They often get used in the kitchen and bathroom, the most used rooms in the home, so they tend to pick up dirt and smells. It’s important to clean your roller blinds regularly to ensure that they look their best for as long as possible. It’s easier than you think; just follow our guide below…
- Start by removing the blinds from the roller and carefully laying them out on the floor. You might want to put some newspaper or a dust sheet down to protect your flooring.
- Use the upholstery brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner to gently remove any loose dirt, dead bugs etc.
- Fill the bathtub about half full with warm water, and add some laundry detergent. If the blinds are white a small amount of bleach can be added to the water too.
- Carefully lay the blinds in the bathtub; if they’re long it’s ok to lay them in an accordion fashion. Allow the blinds to soak like this for a couple of hours.
- Once they’re soaked for a while, take a soft sponge or cloth and wipe the blinds gently to remove any dirt and stains. An old toothbrush is handy for removing more stubborn stains.
- Drain the dirty water from the bath and re-fill with clean water; repeat until all of the soap is removed from the blinds.
- If there’s anyone around to help, ask them to hold up the blinds while you rinse them off with the shower to remove the soap even quicker.
- Lay the blinds on a drying rack, ideally outside if the weather is dry.
- Re-attach the blinds and enjoy your clean roller blinds until the next time they need cleaning!